Re: [OM] Setting Sun and Falling Snow

Subject: Re: [OM] Setting Sun and Falling Snow
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 12:19:11 -0700
At 10/13/2020 11:30 AM, AK Schnozz wrote:
>Setting Sun and Falling Snow. Chugach Mountains. Eagle River, Alaska.
>Olympus E-1 with 50-200 SWD Lens. "They say" the E-1 just isn't very
>good. ISO 100, F5.6, 1/60, 200mm, monopod. Processed in Adobe
>Lightroom. Keen observers will note that this is like the previous
>picture, but was taken the following evening.
>
>http://zone-10.com/d1/node/373
>
>The old girl (E-1) still has a few pictures left in her.
>
>Just a side comment. The previous night I shot the scene with both the
>Sony A7mk2 and the E-3. I fully expected the Sony to do a serious
>smack-down on the E-3, but it turns out that the best pictures were
>from the E-3. The extreme latitude of the Sony doesn't always make for
>better pictures, but sometimes tends to make highlights and shadows
>muddier. If we adjust the highlight, shadow, and contrast settings, we
>can usually dumb-down the Sony images enough to make them interesting,
>but the images can look forced.
>
>Obviously, under high contrast scenes, the Sony is usually far and
>away the best camera, but by the time I Schnozzerize the images, they
>can lack the organic feel I like.
>
>AK Schnozz
>--

Perhaps why I like the Sony as here in AZ, high contrast light is the norm.

You can't add back what isn't there - to some degree.

I have been exploring various methods in PS to improve on the Sony images. I do
not have much success with the PS sliders or the shadow/highlight filter, for
example. It is like mixing water color paint to get another color. Mix too much
and all you get is some shade of brown. You can't make a color more pure, only
work with what you have.

I have watched any number of uTube videos on adjusting landscape photos.
Warming up this area, adjusting the color of this here, ... and the image
"looks great" - so is said. Yes you can enhance a photo quite a bit, but after
a while the fun is gone. I go blind after a while and can't see what it is I
really want anymore. But that won't keep me from continuing to try.

I don't think any of those techniques could reveal any better what is in this
shot. Oh, the dark areas need to be adjusted, the pink enhanced, the golden
light exaggerated... as you say, muddier.

WayneS