Re: [OM] Whither Olympus: The Oracle speaks

Subject: Re: [OM] Whither Olympus: The Oracle speaks
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2020 10:32:11 -0700
At 10/3/2020 05:04 AM, Wayne H wrote:
>In the time that I worked for DEC (1989-1999) they had the world's largest
>private network other than the US military and this was at a time when the
>"internet" was in it's infancy, this was all well established before Bob
>Palmer took over and he just never had the vision to capitalise on the IP in
>the company, just wanted to sell commodity PCs and compete in that crowded
>marketplace ! What a stupid arsehole, granted DEC was in a bit of a slump
>but could have come out on top with good leadership !
>
>...Wayne

I remember a lot of various 'boards' from the dial-up days (80s) had similar
groups on DecNet that mirrored them. That is when I learned about Reptilians,
Men in Black, Mutulated cows with uterus remove via precision surgery, the
Greys, Walk-ins, UFOs, Area 51, channeling,  ... Yes definitely the forerunner
of the internet.

I met Bob Palmer a couple of times while in the semiconductor group. He was
about 50, sported a perfect tan, perfect suit, and 25yo trophy wife. He was
very slick and teflon coated. His claim to fame was selling off MosTech. And
why we called him the Hatchet man.

I was in the storage group when Palmer took over. We had a new manager there
from Xerox, whose name escapes me. He was a builder. He was in contention to
take over as well. He made Dec storage independently profitable. A great guy.
If he was given the position instead of the Hatchet Man, Dec might still exist.

The second oracle: the world can be irrational.

WayneS