Re: [OM] Whither Olympus: The Oracle speaks

Subject: Re: [OM] Whither Olympus: The Oracle speaks
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 11:42:23 -0800
> Boilerplate it is. Not saying much. As for the future of MFT, Olympus is
> obviously not the only game in town.

No, but without Olympus being the "poster boy" for MFT, I don't see
Panasonic becoming the face of MFT. While it is doubtful that there
will be a sudden cessation of development for MFT, I think the future
of the format is in doubt. However, for those people like me who seem
to have no problem with scarfing up old obsolete systems, the future
is bright!

The one shiny hopeful side-effect is that the mount may become truly
an open-standard. It is "open-standard" by name only, with Olympus
carefully keeping control of it. While that would be helpful on the
lens side of things, the problem is on the sensor side of things, and
I see the sensor size as a complete and total dead-end. While Sony has
done a good job of creating scalable sensor technologies, when it
comes to fabbing up the sensors themselves, we've suffered from the
SOS (Some Old Sensor) syndrome. (That said, Sony is obviously still
trying to work through the stockpile of 24MP sensors).

About the "biolerplate" messaging from Olympus, there is absolutely
nothing comforting about it. I've helped write this type of thing in
the past and everything written is nebulous and done in such a way to
try and avoid panic-selling. It actually looks a lot like a decade ago
when Olympus was reassuring everyone that Four-Thirds wasn't going
anywhere and they were going to have two wonderful systems going
forward. Or how about the 1990's when they shut down all development
of the OM system, but kept the system alive for another five years
before finally publicly admitting that the platform was dead and the
engineering teams disbanded years before.

Sadly, the corporate shenanigans that cost them a billion dollars is a
mentality of deceit that permeates that company and has for many
decades. Excuse the insult, but Olympus is kinda the Japanese
Corporate version of Donald Trump. While I love Olympus products, I've
certainly considered Olympus (and Olympus America) antics to be highly
suspect.

AG Schnozz

AG Schnozz