Re: [OM] Whither Olympus: The Oracle speaks

Subject: Re: [OM] Whither Olympus: The Oracle speaks
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayne.harridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2020 22:04:35 +1000
In the time that I worked for DEC (1989-1999) they had the world's largest
private network other than the US military and this was at a time when the
"internet" was in it's infancy, this was all well established before Bob
Palmer took over and he just never had the vision to capitalise on the IP in
the company, just wanted to sell commodity PCs and compete in that crowded
marketplace ! What a stupid arsehole, granted DEC was in a bit of a slump
but could have come out on top with good leadership !

...Wayne

Palmer and
> described to me some of the antics within the company that just created
> extreme tensions, backbiting, duplication of efforts, and an overall
> unsustainable business model. And most surprisingly, he drove the chief
> technology innovators out the door where they found welcoming arms at
> places like Microsoft. Honestly, I don't think Palmer understood what it
> meant to be a company that does "development engineering" for future
> products ten years into the future. He demanded results "now" or he
> deemed the project irrelevant.
> The sad thing was in the early 1990's the Internet hadn't hit yet, and the
> computer industry was still a business-to-business thing. Another year or
> two, and a refocus would have been a game-changer.
>
> The sad thing is that DEC was poised to "win the world". It was so close
> becoming THE dominant player, but they squandered it. I don't think any
> other company was in a position to capitalize on the brave new world of
"The
> Internet" quite like DEC was. Once the synergy is gone, it's gone forever.
And