Re: [OM] Transient cam malady, next steps?

Subject: Re: [OM] Transient cam malady, next steps?
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 14:34:40 -0700
At 9/20/2020 10:33 PM, Moose wrote:

>>Were I worked once, we used to silk screen, place parts and bake boards.
>>Sometimes parts would not get the right amount of solder paste and be
>>intermittent. Such boards were usually removed during testing.
>>
>>In Mike's case, something has gotten hot, or getting hot, and likely failing.
>
>Presenting symptoms suggest the reverse, bad cold, good after warmed up.

I was going on the two comments Mike made:

"In lieu of factory reset in case of firmware corruption (did not seem likely
as smelled like hardware)"

and the comment:

"As a non-engineer my hardware olfactory sense is limited to two odors---bad or
potentially self remediable.  I just get a bad smell."

The fact it flickered on once does not change the diagnosis of likely component
getting hot and the electronic smell. I re-read the messages and did not see
that it got better after warming up, only after changing a lens - did I miss
something?

It could flicker on if powered off and had time to cool or if flexed. Highly
unlikely a cold solder joint and more likely a short. With todays components,
especially parts with ball grid arrays, solder paste drifting and shorting is
much more common, and that type of short could be intermittent. The worst
components are the ones with a large solder pad on the bottom, as that large
pad holds more solder paste that can potentially squish out and short during
production - in my experience.

If there was not the smell, I would opt for loose ribbon cable connection. I
dropped my Garmin bike GPS once and the display would sometimes come on and
sometimes not. But the smell and both LCD and EVF suggests short.

Bottomline, though, is the camera is defective and has to be serviced or
replaced.
Take a snapshot of the defective display if they question you about service.

WayneS