Re: [OM] Transient cam malady, next steps?

Subject: Re: [OM] Transient cam malady, next steps?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 22:33:09 -0700
On 9/20/2020 6:42 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 9/19/2020 10:41 PM, Moose wrote:
<<Mike, first let me offer my sympathy.  That is upsetting.  I would agree with you
that it sounds like a hardware problem.  Let me ask a question.  Has it been sitting,
unused, for quite a period of time?  What I am wondering <<is whether or not your
searching for a solution may have raised the temperature enough to expel some moisture that
was causing the problem?

Sat for a couple weeks--had tried Pro cap mode  low with CAF near Essex river-- wet black
labs and sticks.  No images of artistic merit  but fun proof of concept. Moose prompted
this activity as he determined Pro cap mode H works for PL 100-400 though
"they" say it isn't supposed to work.
Anyway, charged the battery and powered up the beastie and the problem is back,
sigh.
If I have the narrative right, it happens when camera is cold, then clears as
it's been on a while? You mention it got better after lens mounted, but might
it have been a matter of time powered on, nothing to do with lens?

If so, it's probably something like a cold solder joint, damp/corrosion in a
pressure connection or some such. If so, you can document that and take pix of
the progress, so repair folks have proof, and perhaps a hint of where to look.

Does it also apply when viewing images on the card?

I expect it's in the display prep circuit, as it applies to both EVF and LCD,
so I expect image review to be affected the same, but it never hurts to
carefully enumerate all symptoms. If it only affected display of in-camera
memory, but not SD card images, that would further isolate the problem, for
example.

I've done a lot of electronic troubleshooting. Sometimes it has even worked.
Of course, Oly will not try to find the problem. They will just swap out the
circuit boards until it works.

Sure; that's the only economic way. Back in the beginning of digital, Canon was replacing modules, then sending the replaced ones out for repair. I imagine they just throw them away now on all but the highest end cameras.

I was only suggesting ways to help them know it is, in fact, wrong, and perhaps
a clue as to where to start.

Were I worked once, we used to silk screen, place parts and bake boards.
Sometimes parts would not get the right amount of solder paste and be
intermittent. Such boards were usually removed during testing.

In Mike's case, something has gotten hot, or getting hot, and likely failing.

Presenting symptoms suggest the reverse, bad cold, good after warmed up.

I usually find something is shorting out to cause that.

Any chance there has been some moisture condensation?

As Mike was trying out Pro Cap L, I imagine the 12-100 lens was used, meaning well weather sealed lens and body. I thought about that, too, but unlikely.

Diagnostic Moose