Re: [OM] New additions to the Living History Farm

Subject: Re: [OM] New additions to the Living History Farm
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2020 21:19:00 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
The AF on Pany bodies undoubtedly slow as molasses.

<<That is my opinion too. It's easily the sharpest, and most insanely
<<dimensional lens I've ever used. This lens has Lightroom's
<<Texture/Clarity/DeHaze sliders already built-in.

Sounds like high microcontrast characteristic of many Zeiss lenses.  Many use
the C/Y 35-70 f3.4 manual lens on Sonnie for the high microcontrast and "3D
rendering."

The microcontrast can be mimicked in post but the "3D rendering" seems next to
impossible at least for me.   Something to do with the transition zone/bokeh
rendering it seems.
Using the C/Y zoom one can not any LCE in post or it looks overcooked. I can
tell on the smidgy cam LCD that the lens was used.  Mine developed some play in
the barrel and not one shop wanted to service it in the US.
They said they were used and abused by pros and then sold and they are a bear
to disassemble.  I sent it to the Netherlands on advice from FM people who one
it.  On my best adapter though it is a wee smidge off infinity focus now--drat.
 Seems I need a shorter adapter now.

<<You end up with a 3D subject that has a distinct separation from what is
<<behind

Would like to see the same image(s) as take by the 14-35/2, PL 12-60 and Oly
MZ 12-100/4 with a suitable image requiring 3D rendering.  Suspect that is an
impossible search.  The 12-100 despite the long FL often does not excel at
subject/background separation and that is a bear for me to try and fix in post.
  Oh the PL 12-60 has highest mag at long end and the macro ability/rendering
is quite nice.  Am not sure can be smitten by an AF lens not made for
mirrorless.  The 14-35/2 also is not very good for quick macro.  For some
applications on FT and not MFT, one can see how it is attractive.

3D rendering fan, Mike