Re: [OM] Reaching the Top

Subject: Re: [OM] Reaching the Top
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2020 08:39:26 -0800
500 Yards of Moose wrote:
> Nice!
> Nope Moose

Thank you. The climb was rewarded with some very nice photographic
opportunities. If it wasn't for the camera, I'd have probably turned
around. However, if you should ever get a wild hair and come up here
to visit, I promise plenty of photographic things that are available
at or near a vehicle. The neat thing about Alaska is that there is
something incredible for everyone. It doesn't matter if you are into
extreme stuff or wheelchair-bound, the key is to just be here.

As to the climbing nastiness, I was going to say that the really
gnarly stuff came after where that photograph was taken, but that's
not entirely true because this trail had stretches of rice pudding,
punctuated by large bites of Habanero Peppers. For visitors, I'll save
this hike until the end of their visit. :)

Last week's climb up Harp Mountain was very different. It's only a 4
mile round-trip hike, vs., 7 mile with Mt. Magnificent. However, Harp
has no gentle bits, it's just a grind uphill. Mt. Gordon Lyons is the
other close mountain, and that's actually pretty nice. You start out
at the parking lots for the Arctic Valley ski slopes and go up a
valley, turn left at the ridge and just power your way up to the top.
It's steep enough to get your attention, but it's not "oh bloody heck"
steep. Down in Anchorage is Flattop Mountain, which is the most
popular climb. It's ok, until the final rise and it's hands-and-feet
nasty. Flattop is the "right of passage" for becoming an adult in
Alaska. Every child has to do it. Those that survive become adults,
those that don't--well, herd thinning.

AK Schnozz