Re: [OM] E-M5 iii + lens

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M5 iii + lens
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 22:06:29 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
<<<I see there are people who like the 12-100/4. What about close focus at
100mm?

I believe it is about 0.21X at the long end and 0.3X at 12mm which isn't that
useful for me.  The PL 12-60 is 0.3X at the long end or about 0.6 equivalent.
Moose has ascertained the PL
performs well with the Nik 5T.

 I have used the Sigma Achromatic Macro Lens AML 72-01 (1.6 diopter)  on the
12-100 and it behaves well but nothing like the magic of the Pentax T132 on the
PL 100-400. The working distance is just a bit too short for comfort as well.
The weather sealing on the Oly 12-100 is remarkable and sync IS is great on the
e-M1Mk11. On the MkIII the IBIS is different and only gain about 0.5 stops
advantage with sync IS.
I used both the PL 12-60 thank to Moose and the Oly 12-100 in Bhutan.  I rented
the PL 12-60 for a hiking trip due to size and performance.  The bokeh on the
PL-12-60 is often better. but I would surmise the Oly is a smidge sharper at
60mm than the PL at 60 but prolly not in a meaningful way.  Overall like the PL
50-200 I think the PL series hit the sweet spot for size/quality/cost.  The
equivalent fixed aperture pro Oly lenses are excellent but just more
problematic to carry around for what they are.

I had hoped Oly wouldn't mind having the medical division bail out the camera
business for longer, but it is not to be.  If we hadn't had an astrophotog trip
to La Palma planned (and then cancelled of course) and as Marnie needed the
star AF feature it is extremely unlikely I would have sold the MkII and bought
a MkIII.  I would have used the former and likely sold it to buy son of gx9 as
long as Marnie got along with it.  She does like the ergonomics of the MkII,
MkIII though.

Mike