Re: [OM] E-M5 iii + lens

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M5 iii + lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 22:45:44 -0700
On 6/23/2020 9:19 PM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 6/23/2020 05:59 PM, Ken wrote:
Honestly, Wayne, I think one of the best close-up configurations is
the OM Zuiko 100/2 or 100/2.8 with extension tubes on the Sony A7(x)
body.
I don't lack for close up with the A7's.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MsmgDwPQWotHF3s89
Sonay with 90mm macro, stack of 24.
These look like puff balls until you get real close.

Nice! You are making the slices manually? Wow! You won't believe how easy it is
with the GX9.

I have found, in my experience, that lenses that only make
it to 0.1X are often frustrating, for me, to use. For instance,
I really like the Sonie Sonnar T* 55mm for its sharp images.
It is small and light, easy to carry. But I bump into the
0.14x MFD often. I therefore have MFD as a lens criteria.

I have extension tubes, Just that I don't often anticipated
needing them in the field, until I need them. I like Moose's
idea of achromatic CU filters.

With a filter holder on belt or in vest pocket, and XUME filter holders, into and out of C-U mode is a matter of a very few seconds. Standing in a dusty or muddy field, maybe wind blowing, juggling lens and tubes is just awful. Been there, not going back.

Unfortunately, matching C-U lens and main lens is not simple calculation. For example, the Canon 500D achromat simply doesn't give as good resolution on the PLeica 100-400 as the  Nikon 5T. I mostly use the rare Pentax T132 for that lens; lower mag, but much better working distance. The 5T works well on PL 12-60.

There is a current achromat, the Sigma Achromatic Macro Lens AML 72-01 that works pretty well on the 100-400, but the max working distance is a bit short for me.

I have a possibly excessive collection of Achromatic C-U lenses. :-)

Close to Moose