Re: [OM] Stuck at home in Pennsylvania

Subject: Re: [OM] Stuck at home in Pennsylvania
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 12:24:54 -0800
> Nothing "used to be" about it. Still true here. Centurylink or drive
> down the road a km to get a signal. I call that a nonviable alternative.

However, what you are experiencing is the pure definition of a "free
market". There isn't enough money to be made by anybody, so the
competitors are glad to leave Centurylink holding the bag.

I've worked on both sides of that table, and in all honesty, I much
prefer being on the side of the competitor that gets to
pick-and-choose where we choose to be and what we get to sell. The
incumbents are forced to provide ALL regulated services regardless of
cost. The competitors get to cherry pick the customers in the
low-cost-to-provide locations and leave the really expensive stuff
(with zero rate of return) to the big nasty companies.

Providing services on that island is EXPENSIVE!!! Not as expensive as
half (or all) of my network here in Alaska, but we charge a whole lot
more too.

AK Schnozz