Re: [OM] Stuck at home in Pennsylvania

Subject: Re: [OM] Stuck at home in Pennsylvania
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 11:48:47 -0700
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>>
> On 4/13/2020 4:58 AM, Wayne Harridge wrote:
>> If they were pure monopolies you would have 2 choices: use them or use
>> nothing !

That’s certainly true of where most people get their electricity. It used to be
true of telephone service, and the US Department of Justice broke up AT&T
because of it.

> To many of my friends and acquaintances, "monopoly" and "very large company"
> are close to synonymous.

In economics, a monopoly doesn’t have to be absolute. It just has to be able to
wield disproportionate power.

For example, if you expect employment in certain fields, you MUST use Microsoft
and/or Adobe products. That’s a de-facto monopoly, even though smaller players
exist.

I don’t expect anyone to agree with me. I drive diesel vehicles. I grow my own
food. I live on an island. I make my own soap. I use a Mac. I shoot Olympus.

Outliers are seldom very concerned with what other people think of them. :-)

Jan