Re: [OM] Stuck at home in Pennsylvania

Subject: Re: [OM] Stuck at home in Pennsylvania
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 11:57:38 -0700
> From: Philippe <photo.philippe.amard@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:photo.philippe.amard@xxxxxxxxx>>
>
> the original question was "why use a RING flash on a 100-400 eq."

Lots of reasons.

No shadows. None.

Interesting catch-lights in eyes.

High contrast on cloudy days.

Technical photography.

I almost NEVER use a cobra flash. If I’m going to use on-camera flash, I use a
ring light FIRST!

That includes studio work. I have a 1200 joule ring flash that I use with
Speedotron packs. I often use it with a 36” reflector.

Studio lighting is subtle. It’s hard to describe why you’d use one thing or
another. The more you work with studio lighting, the more you just reach for
what you know will do the job. Why use a grid? Why use a giant soft box?
Because of results!

Jan