Re: [OM] Stuck at home in Pennsylvania

Subject: Re: [OM] Stuck at home in Pennsylvania
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 12:30:38 -0800
>      We're a bit more flexible here.  Cycling and other outdoor activities
> seem to be okay as long as you maintain ten feet distance.  Lots of people
> out walking, jogging, skateboarding, roller blading, cycling, etc.

Some of these quarantine-in-place rules have absolutely nothing to do
with common sense. However, I understand because there are a lot of
people with absolutely no common sense so we have to have extreme
rules just to keep the stupid from being stupid. Case in point is
closing the beaches and parks. Seriously? As long as I keep my space
from another person and don't do stupid things, being out in the fresh
air and sunshine is easily the most healthy thing a person can do.
Yet, officials will arrest you for being the sole person on the beach
for miles and miles just because of this arbitrary rule with zero
evidence that it does anything other than keep stupid spring-breakers
from getting drunk and having unprotected s3x with 30 complete
strangers.

I can only guess that Alaskans might be smarter than the average bear
because we seem to get and understand how to keep that distance yet
fully enjoy the outdoors. The places on total lockdown must be
populated by complete imbeciles. Like seriously! You can't leave your
house because there might be one idiot who doesn't understand that
licking doorknobs is a bad thing.

Another thing about the death rate. We're counting COVID-19 deaths as
anybody who dies while infected with COVID-19 regardless of the actual
cause of death. So, the death rate from heart-disease and cancer have
plummeted.

I think we're a couple weeks from peak here, but the new face-mask
rules are likely to be the "game-changer" in all this because it
assumes EVERYBODY has COVID-19 even if they aren't showing symptoms.

Today is the first day I haven't been in the office (doing WFH), not
because of the virus threat, but because I just didn't want to drive
in today. But I work in critical infrastructure, so we operate by an
entirely different set of rules. And we are VERY strict about contact
with anybody not in our "bubble". In our building of 200+ employees,
there is about a dozen of us still coming in. But most people are
married with spouses working in the medical field (it's the nature of
being in Anchorage), oil industry, first-responders, or
transportation, which require isolation from the rest of us.

The sun is shining, the snow is melting, and the Alaska Outdoors is
just screaming "go for a walk!" Absolutely beautiful. Oh, and I have a
pork loin slow-cooking that will be amazing in a few hours.

AK Schnozz