Re: [OM] Lens choices for m43 - Painful thoughts

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens choices for m43 - Painful thoughts
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 06:33:09 -0700
At 9/18/2019 07:56 AM, Moose wrote:
>On 9/17/2019 7:27 PM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
>>As Lucifer would ask "What is your heart's desire?"
>
>"Lucifer", meaning "Light Bringer", a mis-translation/misunderstanding of the
>name of the son of the ruler of Babylon during the Jewish Exile. Introduced in
>an early English translation of the Old Testament (just before the King
>James??), and then carried on forever as an inaccurate synonym for Satan.

I was thinking of the TV show, Lucifier. Should have clarified.

>I'm not sure I understand why the current interest in FF. How many people can
>need that level of resolution?

It is not necessarily the resolution that makes FF appealing. Why associate FF
with being a resolution thing?

I had such a bad experience with the original E-1 and noise I abandoned 4/3rds.
And when the Oly locks up, not good. When I got the 5-D, it was so much better,
responsive, reliable, and not all that much bigger. The 5D optical viewfinder
was also so much better. Probably the best feature of the new a7riv is the 5.76
m-dot OLED view finder, not the megapixels.

I picked up a used a7r3 and generally don't notice much advantage of 42mp to
24mp, unless I start cropping. I still have issues with the EVF. I find myself
re-looking at the scene to make sure what I saw is really there. And focus
issues. Which I would have no matter the camera.

I would love a smaller camera for the convenience. It certainly has portability
advantages. For me it would probably be another Alpha APS-C, which can also
share lenses.

As to resolution of the a7r4, Jim might appreciate this ability, someone shot
from 30 feet:
https://tinyurl.com/yxmydore
cropped to this
https://tinyurl.com/y39np4mf

There is no right set of tradeoffs. But I do agree that smaller size has me
looking. Good viewfinder and good eyepoint can make or break the deal for me.
GX9 is 17mm while alpha's eyepoint is 23mm, for example. If you are fighting
with the camera, it is not the right camera.

My main output requirement is printing, even though most photos are online.

WayneS