Re: [OM] 12-200

Subject: Re: [OM] 12-200
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 23:18:28 -0700
<<<Yup, 12-60 isn't a long as 12-100. And occasionally, but not too often, I
miss that coverage. OTOH, it's optically as good, so don't give anything away there.

I guess I should have said that, with 20 MP, cropping is seldom a problem.

I am skeptical about the long end of the  12-200.

As you should be. You aren't a travel zoom kind of guy. ;-)

It has weather sealing but I wonder if you can put it under a deluge like the
12-100.

I'll have to say, I wished I'd had a weather sealed body to go with the lens
when we walked around Zion in the rain.

The sync IS with  12-100 is just remarkable!!

Well the 12-60, in fact, all my Panny zooms, but the 7-14, have Panny's version, Dual-IS. Even the 42.5/1.7 has it. I don't know of any comparison of dual/sync OIS and IBIS systems. Not sure how one would go about making a good comparison, with so many FLs and shutter speeds, and the variation in human unsteadiness over the tests and between people.

Even at F4 the  lack of subject isolation ability of the 12-100 can be a pain
though.

A point in favor of the faster 12-60 at the short end. It's a full stop faster @ 12 mm, narrowing down to nothing @ about 40 mm.

   It is a tad sharper than the PL 12-60 at the long end as I recall.

No argument here; it's almost infinitely better at 100 mm than the 12-60. :-D  As to 60 vs 60 mm, I just don't recall. I probably have the comparisons, shot in HR, but they are in practice, both excellent. In the field, with all the other factors, I think it's a toss-up. I've certainly got some great C-U photos, including those with achromat C-U lens and focus stacks. For the vast majority of nature close-up/macros, the corners don't matter a whit.

Here is a Marnie shot from Bhutan with the 12-100:

https://www.olyendomike.com/Bhutan-Bangkok-2017/i-GR6KSgG/A

Hey! That's my lens! Excellent photo!

I had to use a Moose processing procedure to improve the bokeh.   Marnie wants
the reach.

Makes perfect sense I would, too, if I didn't also carry the PLeica 100-400. She should be very happy, going from a 1745 g. monster camera/lens to an 1135 g. combo with twice the reach.

  Moose's point about the macro ability of the 12-60 is well taken and it is
clearly massively better at this from samples I've seen

Just for fun, here's a stack taken Sunday, 12-60, Nikon 5T C-U lens, of a fleabane flower going to seed. <https://photos.app.goo.gl/6BcWVaFqxpGYc62o6>

  with the 12-20  and I know first hand with  the 12-100.  The 12-100 did not
like my Pentax achromatic diopter but may like the new
Siggie one Moose found.  The PL is smaller and a better hiking lens but I don't
think nearly as weather proof.

 Sure wasn't bothered by the rain in Zion.

  I think it has dual IS with Panny bodies.

Indeed, as above.

They each have their place, but not sold on the 12-200.

I'd be far more interested if it had OIS. I've had a lot of fun, and good results, with GM5 and Panny 14-140. I just discovered I had another gallery of photos from that combo. <https://photos.app.goo.gl/68UNhScFh8a2WHeG7>

There are a couple of big crops of people shots. I notice now some artifacts in one that should be reprocessed in the latest DxO, but there's otherwise nothing to complain about.

Where's the Panny 12-20, with OIS?

Mixed Up Moose