Re: [OM] Image Processing - AAARGH!!

Subject: Re: [OM] Image Processing - AAARGH!!
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2019 11:21:11 -0700
Updating old topic.

I have been watching JCristina on 'Life after Adobe' where he is cutting the
cord with Adobe. Which prompted me, considering Ken's comment on Adobe "end of
life" and other online comments about adobe's software is getting old, slow,
and a resource hog. It appears that other programs that do similar functions
run much faster. My nephew worked for Adobe a number of years back and it was
clear then the company was a lumbering giant. Perhaps some newer, more nimble
companies can compete. There are a lot more options today.

So I am splurging and trying some other software. I can't say I ever fell in
love with Lightroom although I never took the time to really learn it. I'm
certainly not a production photographer. On my list I have the following tools:

Photoshop + Lightroom classic
Capture One V12
ON1 Photo RAW
Topaz Labs - various tools
Affinity Photo
Neat Image

What really prompted me to start looking for alternatives was how terrible PS
was at focus stacking, especially with cactus spines. A spine coming toward or
away will often suddenly have a fuzzy section or fuzzy tip. It typically
requires a lot of painful mask editing, and figuring out which layer and mask
in the stack to fix - Totally Frustrating.

Helicon Focus seems the best available for stacking, but you would think for
the price they could also do panorama stitching.

Capture One had a sale, so I upgraded. Capture One has layers and masking
capability.

Affinity Photo looks decent and on sale for $39.99. This has advanced
stitching, refinement tools, and what PS calls 'content aware fill' with the
name 'inpainting'.

I would also like to try helicon focus at some point, maybe PTGui for
stitching... after working with what I have. It will be a while before I know.
PS is still my main goto until I learn these other tools.

Curious about other's opinions.

WayneS