Re: [OM] Pretty tripod

Subject: Re: [OM] Pretty tripod
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 19:28:50 -0700
I saw that--looks quite slick.

They certainly have done a great job of trying to hit all the possible design improvement points. But I would need to try it out in person. Tripod ergonomics are, I think, trickier than cameras.

On paper, the Manfrotto Manfrotto MT290XTC3US 290 Xtra CF tripod looked like the best replacement for the twist lock leg Hakuba I'd used at home for years. I played with one in a store. But I just didn't "take", to it, particularly to the flip leg locks. A used Velbon El Carmagne 630 replaced it, and we get along well. The Manfrotto is gone. Specs and videos just don't tell the story.

It is their first 'pod though.  It is more compact than competitors but the
same length.

I really don't like five section legs on "real" tripods.  The mechanics mean the bottom section(s) are too skinny. Unless the flip locks are really, really well designed and made, they are a pain to set up. Of course, the PD looks super smooth and easy in their video. But how much did that guy practice; will it be so for me?

The ctr column must be raised to tilt the ballhead.

Yeah, that whole thing is a bit iffy looking to me, skinny center column and entirely new design ball head. Could be great, or . . .

Preliminary analyses are favorable, but will wait.  My sirui 025X which has undergone a minor redesign will serve this purpose for now.  The legs on the PD are MUCH quicker to deploy though.

That's true of some other travel tripods, as well. You've seen my Velbon UT-45, very quick to deploy and un-deploy. But aren't these in a different category from this thingie?

I'm really not in the market for a tripod. I've got good ones for the niches I
need. And it isn't cheap!

Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 CF tripod with column that goes horizontal heading out with me Saturday. Gonna try out some astro in the dark skies of S. Utah.

In the Dark Moose