Re: [OM] UV and Skylight Filters

Subject: Re: [OM] UV and Skylight Filters
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 12:48:04 -0700
On 5/23/2019 9:57 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
For whatever reason that I haven't researched yet, UV light seems
higher here in Alaska than the lower-48. Even my brother from Florida
commented on it as his dimming glasses got darker here than in
Florida.

I say that because my Canon 6D seems to be a bit susceptible to UV
light and it's near impossible to dial the blue out in Lightroom.

NO, actually impossible. The blue sensels have no way of knowing whether they are recording blue that our eyes can see or UV that they can't. Once that value has been recorded, there's no possible way to separate those two components of the single number.

I researched this a lot, and did testing with the images our ex (late?) listee minister from Canada brought back from the Andes. With LOTS of detail work at the pixel level, it's possible to make something that almost looks normal.

What IS possible is to use an 81 filter, probably 81A for you, 81C for real high altitude. They aren't sharp enough cut-off to avoid losing some visible blue, esp. the stronger ones. A solution is to shoot a test target in sea level sunlight and make an ICC profile to correct the diminished blue. That's a pure solution. Simpler is to use the filter and raise blues to taste in post.

HOWEVER, Adobe did fix a lot of that in the latest converter version.

Not the UV problem. Can't be done, post exposure.

But I have experimented with UV and Skylight filters on that camera as
a result.

Useless. Try an 81A. If it's UV, that should make a big difference. If it's
other atmospheric effects, likely not.

U. V. Moose