Re: [OM] UV and Skylight Filters

Subject: Re: [OM] UV and Skylight Filters
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 08:34:56 -0700

> On May 24, 2019, at 03:16, olympus-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
>
>     This takes me back to my disappointments with the use of Wratten filters
> while taking B&W images in non-RAW formats.  They had no effect as the camera
> was correcting the colour temperature before doing the B&W conversion.  One
> of my projects for this year is to redo my experimentation, this time using
> RAW format so as to shut off the processing.

Can’t you just use a fixed colour temperature in the camera? The camera-set
colour temperature might still affect the RAW image, just as auto-exposure does.

What you’re asking of RAW is like shooting tungsten-balanced film, then
correcting it later for daylight — you’re going to suffer reduced dynamic range
in the blues and violets.

Jan