Re: [OM] UV and Skylight Filters

Subject: Re: [OM] UV and Skylight Filters
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 07:12:06 -0700
At 5/23/2019 11:37 AM, Philippe wrote:

>And also fiddling with manual WB btw ?.
>
>A filter proteecting a lens ? Really?
>I once dropped a camera, - well someone did one of mine in Barcelona, do not
>ask questions ? - the shards of the broken filter screwed the front eelement
>of the lens, in part.
>Had I not screwed that f?¦ filter on, the whole gear would have been left
>pristine.
>
>Now, to everyone their deserts ;-)

Totally agree. I don't use screen protector on my phone either. I like the nice
pristine look. Going on two years with galaxy S7 and screen looks good as new.
I have broken two phones. Screen protector did nothing, it just makes the
screen ugly.

I have always said the best lens protection you can do is a lens hood. Most are
plastic and absorb a shock. Lens "protection" filter just muddies the optics.
More often than not you bang the camera on the corner of the lens anyway - lens
hood protects, filter does not. Not sure where the UV protection filter
religion began. I have banged my camera around, never damaged a lens but do
have scratched lens hoods. I dropped an OM with lens + metal hood once. Hood
was bent but that was it. Filters are for flitering.

Protection filter averse - WayneS