Re: [OM] Any weird OM film gear out there for sale

Subject: Re: [OM] Any weird OM film gear out there for sale
From: ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 14:08:52 +0000
Jiim

Yes, I can, provided that the student has advanced through the syllabus
sufficiently to find her own way back to a runway if I collapse in the cockpit.

The rules come from the CAA: you may not fly as captain in charge of an
aircraft with fare-paying passengers once you reach the age of 65 because of
the increased risk of a cardiac event and the RAF will not work to less
stringent regulations.  The problem was highlighted about 8 years ago when an
air experience pilot hit a glider and broke his neck.  It wasn’t a cardiac
event, but he had been flying with ankylosing spondylitis which had given him a
bent spine and a weakened neck; the medical profession started looking then
more closely at the screening and how he had managed to keep flying.  The cadet
with him died even though he survived the collision.

But that risk is one of the wider population, as I understand it, not from a
screened set of the population.  I have a medical every year, two ECGs per year
(one of which must be a “Stress ECG”) and the RAF has a full record of my
medical history.  Indeed, yesterday I had an AAA (Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm)
screening to check for imperfections in the wall of the aorta.  So the risk
must be low(ish), but them’s the rules . . .

Cheers

Chris