[OM] OT: not quite

Subject: [OM] OT: not quite
From: Bob Benson <bob.benson91@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 14:22:49 -0600
I've read with great interest all your comments about Oly futures in
general and the E-M1X in particular.  It catches me at a very vulnerable
time.

Over last coupe of weeks (17 days) I took a wonderful trip driving from
Santiago Chile to Umshaia Argentina - some 3500 miles down empty and often
very rough roads, in and out of Chile/Argentina..  This was to be a
photographic adventure; I'd prepared with several Oly cameras and lenses
(e.g., primes, PRO zooms) and all the accouterments - batteries, power
supplies, computers for copying/backup/initial review, etc.

Unfortunately, day one in Valparaiso, while in a small shop just a few feet
away,  before we could check into our hotel,  the car was broken into,  and
all gone.   On the (somewhat) bright side,  I was able to find a large
shopping mall on late Saturday night that actually sold cameras, and was
able to buy the highest quality camera possible there  - an original Sony
alpha7 and kit lens  (last remaining display copy) .  No extra batteries
etc.   Apparently high-end photography isn't a big thing there.  So I was
able to do some photographs (FF at that !).

This now puts me in the position of replacing a lot of stuff.  I still have
the E-M1 ii and the 12-100 and 7-14 lenses - fortunately these were with me
when I went into the shop (they took all the batteries and chargers though,
so these were useless on the subsequent road trip.)  But ... now what ?
Some insurance money is available.

I am essentially a landscape guy and have found the Oly system (over 40
years) very good for me. The improvements, for example, in the E-M1 ii have
been very effective for me.  The lenses are, in my experience, superb.  The
additions to the E-M1X seem good:  high-res,  some improvement to the
sensor,  even the bulk of the battery holder (I'd had holders on previous
cameras, also taken.)   I'm definitely not unhappy with the way I use the
Oly system.  Even though things have gotten bigger ... they aren't huge and
I can still pack a good-sized system in a carry-on bag .. in this case I
had several cameras and 7 lenses in a single carry-on.

But ... now's the chance to change.  Essentially the choice:  pick a system
(say, Sony Alpha), and replenish the range of lenses I use - primes and a
zoom or two.)   I perhaps would consider Fuji in this, but don't know much
about the range of lenses available.  I would also consider the mid-range
Fuji (bigger than FF),  but probably not for size reason.  OR I can
recommit to Oly - or Panny of course - replenishing the primes, perhaps but
not necessarily the PRO primes, and so forth.   I suspect the money
implications are about the same ... painful, but as I'm getting old I would
like to continue to take photographs in the field, and equipment can matter.

Another dimension is new vs. used;  practically everything is available on
our favorite site.

I know this is essentially a personal choice, with opinions and options
available to me all over the board.  Emotionally I'm bent towards Oly ..
but again, now's the time if ever.

Any thoughts ?

Bob