Re: [OM] OT: not quite

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: not quite
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 13:19:04 -0800
I have been looking at the various micro four-thirds cameras lately. At
first, I was thinking of replacing my four-thirds body (E-1) with one of
the OM-D EM-1 bodies. The EM-1 mk II looked like a good fit, because with
it's due focusing I could use my 4/3 lenses on it with an adapter, as well
as micro 4/3 lenses. Then I thought I'd wait and see the new offering. As
Philippe says, all the advantages of the smaller size are lost.

And on further thought, as I also have an E-PL3 and an E-620, perhaps that
was the wrong way to think about it. From what I can see, the E-PL9 is a
non-starter as it doesn't have a port for an EVF. Shooting "monitor only"
is a often a PITA, as I have learned with the E-PL3. The E-PL8 still has an
EVF port, but from the specs, it just appears to be a remodeled version of
the E-PL7, therefore wouldn't justify the increased price over the E-PL7,
excepting the E-PL7 is no longer available new. The problem with all the
E-PLx models is that if one wants an eye-level finder, it has to be
purchased separately at additional cost.

So the winner, at this point, for me, may be a PEN F. It adds 20MP sensor,
hi-res shot mode, and built-in EVF. 1/2 the cost of the OM-D E-M1 mk II,
and one-third the cost of the new E-MX, plus still small and available new.
I'll keep the 620 for the four-thirds lenses and shooting with older Zuikos
via manual adapter, and use the PenF for my regular shooting. The E-PL3 can
go to a deserving soul somewhere (most likely a grand-kid).

---
Scott

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 11:57 AM Philippe <photo.philippe.amard@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I haven’t read the list reactions to the new E-Oly
>
> https://www.fujirumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/1.jpg <
> https://www.fujirumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/1.jpg>
>
> From what I can see, all the benefits of a smaller sensor are now lost -
> sad !