Re: [OM] OT: not quite

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: not quite
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 13:44:30 -0800
On 1/25/2019 1:19 PM, Scott Gomez wrote:
. . ., all the advantages of the smaller size are lost.

And on further thought, as I also have an E-PL3 and an E-620, perhaps that
was the wrong way to think about it. From what I can see, the E-PL9 is a
non-starter as it doesn't have a port for an EVF. Shooting "monitor only"
is a often a PITA, as I have learned with the E-PL3. The E-PL8 still has an
EVF port, but from the specs, it just appears to be a remodeled version of
the E-PL7,

That's right, they have abandoned real cameras in that line in favor of style. But for the VF issue, it's a wonderful camera. Sharper, clearer image files than my E-M5 IIs. OTOH, the smaller, also discontinued GM5 makes files as good and has an EVF built-in.

therefore wouldn't justify the increased price over the E-PL7, excepting the E-PL7 is no longer available new. The problem with all the E-PLx models is that if one wants an eye-level finder, it has to be purchased separately at additional cost.

Right again! I have a VF-4. It's a wonderful finder. I never actually use it,
at least not in ages.

So the winner, at this point, for me, may be a PEN F. It adds 20MP sensor, hi-res shot mode, and built-in EVF. 1/2 the cost of the OM-D E-M1 mk II, and one-third the cost of the new E-MX, plus still small and available new.

May I suggest that you take a look at the Panny GX9? Available in a kit with the Panny 12-60 lens for $900. <https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1439450-REG/panasonic_lumix_dc_gx9_mirrorless_micro.html> Not the great Leica 12-60, but a good lens.

I've been on the Great Search for my next µ4/3 body, and this seems to be it. My list of pros and cons is as long as both my arms. On top: much higher resolution than my E-M5 II bodies, beyond just the MP increase. Same size, although the rangefinder styling is a little slicker looking. Pretty stunning Dual IS with Panny OIS lenses, mostly zooms.

I'll keep the 620 for the four-thirds lenses and shooting with older Zuikos via manual adapter, and use the PenF for my regular shooting. The E-PL3 can go to a deserving soul somewhere (most likely a grand-kid).

Switching Horses Moose