Re: [OM] [OT] Climate Change

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Climate Change
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 13:38:59 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>> Here on the east side of the Atlantic, I was not aware of the idea that
>> America was regarded as mainly responsible although we are aware that you
>> seem to have a larger lobby of climate change deniers than most,  not least
>> your President. It is however commonly noted that in the USA peoples' views
>> on such matters (or abortion or environmental matters) appear to be much
>> more closely linked to political allegiance than elsewhere.
>
>Tribalism is getting more intense over here. There is not such thing
>as a conversation with anybody that sees things even SLIGHTLY
>differently than you. It will quickly devolve into a "if you voted for
>Trump/Hillary I'm going to unfriend you" type of scenario. In fact,
>there are people on this very list who have said that very thing and I
>just shake my head and say to myself "you are such an idiot."

     I've actually had to put a couple of people from this list into my spam
blocker just to keep the noise down and the enjoyment up.

>Many years ago, I was a supporter/member of the Sierra Club. I was an
>innocent person who actually thought that this organization actually
>wanted to be effective at real issues and concerns. Turns out that
>their only purpose for being (at that time) was to defeat George H.W.
>Bush. Instead of environmental issues, they became a purely political
>organization with absolutely no redeeming value. This came to a head
>when there was a "call to arms" moment on a specific environmental
>issue that was very specific to their charter and they declined to
>have anything to do with it because all of their money and effort was
>being devoted to politics instead. We were literally told to "stand
>down" on what we were doing because they didn't want that
>environmental cleanup effort to be completed before the election.

     I was more than just a supporter/ member.  I was a member of the group and
then chapter Excoms, as well as the group and laer chapter outings leader.
What I saw when I got to the chapter level made me wonder if being a member,
let alone being actively involved, was a good use of my time and money.  When I
was appointed to a governor's advisory council, all hell broke loose and I was
forced out.

     The bottom line here is that any active involvement in environmental
issues in this chapter is a death wish.  This chapter does not participate in
any public meetings, while at the same time the "opposition" does.  Serious
issues go unaddressed.  It mostly comes down to one person, whose name I will
not mention except to say that she was the national treasurer when the Seminole
(ie - Florida) chapter was suspended for three years for contronting Clorox for
discharging untreated waste into the Everglades.  The Sierra Club national
office got a healthy $100,000 "donation" from Clorox.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson