Re: [OM] A.I. Gigapixel Test -Bill

Subject: Re: [OM] A.I. Gigapixel Test -Bill
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 11:52:06 -0700
> From: Bill Pearce <billpearce@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> But I am amazed at Mac fanboys resisting Adobe because it's too expensive.

That has noting to do with my not using Adobe products.

Adobe wants to be Microsoft when they grow up. "Embrace, embellish,
extinguish." Like the so-called "open standard" for PDF that Adobe blew away
with their very next release of Acrobat Reader. Now, you MUST use Acrobat
Reader to fill in most "open" PDF forms you download.

At every step of the way, Adobe has sought to tighten control of the
Photoshop/Lightroom bloatware. I'm willing to bet that they now spend more
software development resource in protecting their assets than they do adding
value for the user.

I don't do monopolies because, well, because they ARE monopolies! Should Apple
reach a dominant position in the computing market, I'll be looking for the
scrappy innovator, nipping at their heels.

I use MacOS because 1) it's UNIX underneath, and 2) I'm an outlier. I drive
(and make fuel for) diesel engines. I use ON 1 (et. al.) to edit photos. And I
shoot Olympus. So I'm pretty consistent in my inconsistency. :-)

A real nice thing about going with the #2 (or #3, or #4) player is that they
are very focused on compatibility. If Microsoft or Adobe wants to change
something that will break their users' workflow, they just say, "FU!" Whereas
the players further down the line MUST ensure that their users can get their
photos in or out with minimum fuss. You can even create your own lens profiles
for ON1, using open-source software, so easily-corrected flaws like CA,
vignetting, and areal distortion are automagically corrected. Lightroom doesn't
do that.

I'm not so much a "fanboy" as I am an "anti-fan" boy. Subvert the dominant
paradigm!

Jan