Re: [OM] A.I. Gigapixel Test -Bill

Subject: Re: [OM] A.I. Gigapixel Test -Bill
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 11:31:12 -0700
> From: Bill Pearce <billpearce@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
>    Beware. Apple has announced they are going back to a proprietary processor
> in the next generation, so basically none of your current software will work

The second statement doesn't necessarily follow from the first.

Apple has switched processors twice before, while providing a compatibility
layer for years after the switch. They went from 680x0 processors to IBM's
PowerPC, then to Intel.

Meanwhile, most users hardly noticed, as long as they were using software that
followed Apple's development guidelines. (Microsoft and Adobe were both
infamous for NOT following Apple's development guidelines, and their products
fared much worse in the transition -- a big reason why I avoid their products
today.)

My bigger concern would be if Apple tried to foist IOS on its desktop users. If
Apple takes away UNIX, I'll switch to Linux. Their OS changes in the past have
not gone so well for users. The original 6502-based OS was a clean break to the
Lisa, which was almost a clean break to the original proprietary MacOS, which
had a miserable migration to UNIX-based MacOS X.

Jan