Re: [OM] Solstice Evening

Subject: Re: [OM] Solstice Evening
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 21:21:34 -0700
On 6/22/2018 10:01 PM, Philippe wrote:
Where’s the 6D file so that we can compare too, please?

Sure, why not both Raw files.

I shot the scene with the E-1 and the 6D. . . .

I'm reminded that in "normal" lighting conditions, most every camera
is going to photograph the scene about the same. But when the lighting
gets odd, things start to go wonky.

This photo was odd lighting?

The following vivid word picture analogies between equine animals and Raw
conversion/editing software is rather lost on me.

The first thing I'd do to this image, and do to many, is separate sky and land. Processing for the two would be quite different. In extremis, which this is not, I've been known to do two separate Raw conversions for wildly different parts of an image. I did that with the mural between bright windows photo I posted recently, to create the "no adjustment" version.

If I didn't like the sky color, I'd mask it separate from the clouds and adjust it. Just tried that on your JPEG, and I can make it pretty much any sky color/intensity I like quite easily, without messing up anything else. I could adjust the clouds, too, but like them fine as you have set them.

Has something terrible happened between 5D and 6D? I was quite happy with files
from the 5D.

Masked Moose