Re: [OM] Bear Spray is not a fashion statement

Subject: Re: [OM] Bear Spray is not a fashion statement
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 10:03:17 -0800
>      You may be thinking of Tim Treadwell.  He and his girlfriend thought
> they could turn Silverback Grizzlies in Katmai National Park in Alaska into a
> petting zoo.

There are few topics so polarizing in Alaska than discussing Tim
Treadwell. I personally put him in the same category as Paul Walker.
It's tragic that they were killed by their muse, however, up to that
point, they managed to survive situations that should have been fatal
before. Surviving situations that could have gone either way.

Some think Treadwell was "The Bear Whisperer", but most think that he
essentially became a typical off-gridder with a great hobby (film) and
a keen interest in these specific bears. The Park Service really
disliked the guy and he made sure he was a thorn in their flesh. Some
say he was sloppy, others say he employed every proper technique in
the book. I tend to think he was actually very particular and clean as
he knew what the bears would do if I was doing stupid things like
cooking or storing food in his tent.

>From what I gather in conversations up here, Treadwell was proof that
ANYBODY can get attacked and that no matter how good you are, you are
NOT the apex creature there. There was a trend towards sloppiness with
bear interactions. This is especially true with people fishing with
bears present.

AG Schnozz