[OM] The Miracle of Modern Lightroom

Subject: [OM] The Miracle of Modern Lightroom
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 21:21:44 -0800
Before and After

http://zone-10.com/d1/node/291

Through the miracle of modern Photoshop, we can take a very basic
camera raw image and achieve a more pleasing look. The raw image is
much like a photographic negative. There isn't anything "final" about
it. It's just a array of stored numbers. Adjusting contrast, color and
how the numbers are to be placed is all part of the artistic
interpretation. There is no right way or wrong way to interpret the
image. Only the way that the artist or photographer chooses to share
the image with the viewer.

"Did it actually look that way in real life?" Yes it did. It's how "I
saw it." Those who were with me when I shot the picture just happened
to see something else, but that's perfectly OK.

Technical details: The photo was taken with the Canon 6D and OM Zuiko
35mm F2.0 lens. I adjusted the exposure to make sure that the
highlights didn't clip or wash out. I can deal with the shadows, but
the sky is a pass-fail kinda thing.

Processed in Adobe Lightroom. I used "Adobe Landscape" for the profile
and pressed Auto WB and Auto Tone. That was the starting point. From
there, I made minor adjustments in sharpening, clarity and
lens-specific corrections. Nothing radical at all. I normally get more
radical. This photo should be considered a "rough draft" edit as a
final version would experience significantly more editing, but I
wanted to illustrate what can be achieved with very minimal effort in
Adobe Lightroom.

The location is only five bird-miles from the house.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx