[OM] OT – Flood Fail

Subject: [OM] OT – Flood Fail
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 13:05:19 +0100
I’ve been a little preoccupied over the last two weeks: I drove into too deep a
puddle on 1 June and the engine stopped.  It hasn’t started since, but I hoped
that a good garage might find the fault and bring my lovely BMW X1 back to me.

It hasn’t.  I got a call from the insurance company last week to tell me that
the car was beyond economic repair.

It’s not the cylinders, it seems: the engine will turn over so there has been
no water to bend a conrod.  But the OBD is dead and the garage (and the
insurance company’s engineer) reckon that the electrics have been badly
affected and that there is no knowing how much it will take to get the car on
the road and reliable again.  I’ve talked to a few people and it’s not uncommon
for too much water to kill a car, it seems, what with all the microprocessors
and sensitive electronics.

So I feel a little daft, but I’ve managed to find myself a replacement, a BMW
X3 that’s just over 2 years old and not a stupid amount of money.  This
prompted my younger son to accuse me of having engineered the accident so that
I could acquire a new car (he was in the car at the time, so he knows what
happened).  And he sent me a Father’s Day card with the conspiracy sub-text:

<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=22875>

But I am consoled by my replacement car, although I’m back to a diesel engine:

<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=22878>

It isn’t ready for me yet, but I’ll be driving it (very carefully) back from
the dealer on Thursday.

Chris