Re: [OM] The Miracle of Modern Lightroom

Subject: Re: [OM] The Miracle of Modern Lightroom
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 21:33:30 -0700
On 6/18/2018 10:59 AM, Ken Norton wrote:

Nice image and processing!

Mike of TOP just posted comments on the µ4/3 processor in the GX8.

"I took the GX8 out at midday and took a number of different torture-test exposures of the white shed with the doors open to the darkened interior. (Essentially a "black box" test like we used to do with B&W film.) I found that on the exposure with the sunlit white cladding barely holding, the interior still dipped too far into ugly noise—and with the interior just barely holding, I couldn't recover quite enough highlight detail."

I consider that to be an admission of his limitations in the digital darkroom, rather than a test of the limits of the sensor system. I grabbed an example from the prior sensor generation, in a GX7; one of the earlier shots I took with it. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Process/GX7_DR/Mural.htm>

Small size was so the images could be embedded in the TOP blog format.

I used DxO for the Raw conversion. Their Prime NR for Raw works better than anything else I've tried for files where the shadows are going to be pulled WAY up. With normally exposed images at middle ISOs, DxO loses detail compared to NeatImage, for the same noise reduction. Shipped over to PS for the rest.

I made a post on TOP, but it hasn't shown up yet. I wonder if I pissed him off
or broke some rule . . .

Lightroom is my hammer of choice.

And I detest it! :-)
Photoshop is an ancient kluge

I thought that was the E-1? [imitating waterfowl.]

that I avoid most of the time.

Depending on what one wants to do, PS has added over recent years tools that
are leading edge.

It's an extremely rare photograph that needs attention in Photoshop.

Thanks! "Rare and Special"; that's my photos. ;-)

HOWEVER, there are times when I'll prototype
everything in Lightroom and then do the actual work in Photoshop.

I don't understand that process, I go directly to the master tool.

But that's usually if I need to do masking or photo merging.

Virtually every image I process uses layers and masks.

In all honesty, it's a situation of deteriorating skillsets. Since Lightroom
has become so powerful, I've lost a lot of my editing chops in the
legacy software.

So if you can't use it and don't know how it has changed as LR has changed,
denigrate it??

Lightroom now allows me to "edit" images in a similar manner to how I
did it in the Darkroom.

I never liked the wet darkroom - frustrating, but once necessary. And no color!  Yes, I'm knocking something I never got good at.

Dark Horse Moose