Re: [OM] The Miracle of Modern Lightroom

Subject: Re: [OM] The Miracle of Modern Lightroom
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 21:51:52 -0700
On 6/18/2018 10:27 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Dark Horse-meat Moose wrote:

Depending on what one wants to do, PS has added over recent years tools that
are leading edge.
Features, yes. Workflow, no.

Ah well, everyone has their own preferred workflow. See below.

HOWEVER, there are times when I'll prototype
everything in Lightroom and then do the actual work in Photoshop.
I don't understand that process, I go directly to the master tool.
With Lightroom, I can take a look at a selection of photographs, do
some quick whipping of the sliders to see if anything interesting
happens, and then go from there. The Bridge-Photoshop workflow

I've never much liked Bridge. I'm a FastStone-PS guy. LR is a good to great browser, esp. the map function. BUT, on the assumption that it's what I want to use as ACR UI, if I go from there to PS, I end up with the ACR defaults for exposure controls, whereas I want to go into ACR, then PS. Just my workflow preference.

assumes that you have an idea of what you want to do with an image before you
start. I'm not that good.

"Good"? I dunno, although I generally have an idea what I want from the browser.

I like to bend the levers to see what screams in delight.

Virtually every image I process uses layers and masks.
I'd be slicing my wrists...

Mine is heavily Action driven. Say I want LCE, or Curves, or Levels, etc., I make one click and a new layer, appropriately named, is created and the desired tool is open. Many, many images end up with ShadowHi, LCE and Curves layers. One click renames the top layer "SHi, LCE & Curves, and I delete the intermediate layers.

I do a lot of masking. The example I just posted needed masks to separate the pulled up mural from the view through the windows, for example. Again, masking tools have improved vastly over the last few years.

Nah. Not at all. Photoshop is chuck full of awesomeness for you
stuck-in-2000-guys. ;)

AG (E1-forever)

I've got one of those now, with 12-54. Hasn't moved me.

P. S. F. Moose