Re: [OM] Bagpipes [was A tale of too many tripods]

Subject: Re: [OM] Bagpipes [was A tale of too many tripods]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 21:57:28 -0700
Resurfacing after 2 weeks of days starting at 4:30 AM.

Intrigued by the bagpipes.  I think there is a shorter version?

Yes, there is - or was. The question whether they are actually in production and/or available at retail new, is one that would require more research than I am interested in; I've already got mine. ;-)

The advantage I see over the Explorer series Gitzo  the extra  extra joint in
the center column.
Do you have an image of  how it works to get the cam at ground level?

This seems the obvious way to do it. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Misc&image=_B003926corcroofm.jpg>

The knob on the end of the center column is a cover for another 1/4-20 threaded stud, so head or body may be attached on either top or end of the tube. The molded loop for strap attachment keeps it from going any lower. That and the thickness of the end piece means one can't get as low as one might expect.

There are several other ways to get to ground level.

Reversible legs or center column.
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=14126>

Legs that go flat and 90° center column. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Misc&image=IMG_1116croofm.jpg>

Walt's Cullmann and Manfrotto 3025 head solution. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Misc&image=Cullman02.jpeg>
And
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Misc&image=Cullman02.jpeg>

GorillaPods with legs splayed.

For small, light camera/lens combos, I have a couple of the Joby Micro tripods. <https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Tripod-Point-Shoot-Cameras/dp/B005I49266?th=1>

They nestle on the bottom of the camera, always ready, but really out of the
way. One lives on the GM5 and one on the ZS50.
In the above illustration, they get lower than the Uni-Lock. The Air-01 is on
an even tinier TiltPod.

Hearing the siren call of elegant bagpipes, Mike

Heard the Call Moose