Re: [OM] Bagpipes [was A tale of too many tripods]

Subject: Re: [OM] Bagpipes [was A tale of too many tripods]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2018 11:40:12 -0700
Addendum: It's the upper tubes that are 25 mm, lower ones are 30 MM.

From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

Jan's concern about it being no sturdier for studio work than his Benbo Trekker
is not mine.
You complained about the lightweight aluminum vibrating, and having to wait for
vibrations to settle down.

Not complaint, exactly, as I have yet to experience any image effects. My primary tripods have for years been CF, which tends to damp vibration, whereas earlier models with aluminum tubes seemed to transmit/amplify vibrations. My first CF was a revelation of 'deadness'.

Based on my experience, and the long sideways extension for this particular set-up, I chose to use remote release, as a prophylactic measure. This is not uncommon for me with me for this kind of subject/location, even with my conventional CF tripods. Part of the reason I use tripods for them is that I like to shoot at minimum regular ISO and let the shutter speed go where it will. In this case, it was 1/6 sec., but it's not uncommonly quite a bit longer. My experience is that my act of pressing the shutter release tends to cause blurring at those sorts of speeds. Self timer delay would likely also work well.

As I have a wireless remote release immediately at hand, always ready; using it doesn't delay me at all. Again, prophylaxis, the ounce of prevention that's worth a pound of cure. I could, of course, run a bunch of tests, but I don't care to waste the time - if it ain't broke . . . I seldom use the WiFi remote controls, either, as they are actually more fuss and bother than grabbing the remote and plugging it into the camera. With the A7, there's no place to plug in a remote, so I use their tiny IR remote.

That's my experience with the Benbo Trekker, which appears to be identical to
your Uni-Loc as pictured.

The Benbo #1 has 1" tubes, and none of that vibration, but I wouldn't want to
carry it very far!

That's the tricky thing with just looking at pix, especially if there is a preliminary conclusion just waiting to be confirmed. The tubes on the Uni-Lock S1700 are 25 mm, i.e., 99% of one inch and probably then the same size as the Benbo #1. What size are the Trekker's tubes?

Weigh-off? The Uni-Lock is 2,660 g, 5 # 14 oz., without head, but with a couple
of pieces of pipe insulation on legs.

I'm not saying you CAN'T do studio work with the Uni-Loc, or than you're a bad ungulate for trying to do so. But based on your complaints and your photo of it, I have to stand by my statement that it's essentially a re-branded Trekker.

I don't really care if it's a re-branded wombat, as long as it does what I want. Based on your earlier comments, it seemed to me that you were using much larger, heavier cameras on it in the past than I am now? It seems fine for my needs. Sure, I have a 100-400 m lens, that might strain it, but can't imagine using that on it. Virtually all my tripod use is indoors or in the front garden, with moderate size/weight lenses.

I have as yet only used it for three subjects, two where it was able to place the camera where a conventional tripod couldn't, and I found it excellent solution.

It's a fine tripod for what it does! I think I paid $156 plus shipping for it new, some 30 years ago! But I did jump at the chance to get a used #1 for about the same price. My Trekker is now my "loaner" tripod for visiting photographers.

This was $250, in today's $, and including a very heavy duty NPC Prohead ball head I should be able to sell for $50+, carry strap and case. Possibly a better price, when inflation is factored in. In the same ballpark, anyway. EX+ condition.

Bent Bolt Moose