Re: [OM] OT: Getting Away From It All

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Getting Away From It All
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 12:54:12 +0100
Norse placenames, don't get me started.....

Oh, you did!

Yes, as has been pointed out, it means "island", but with much wider spread
than you might think. Such as New Jersey! Obviously borrowed for the Channel
Island of the same name, but indubitably a Norse placename, along with many
others on that island, and others nearby - such as Grosnez, which might look
to be French, but contains the Norse ending -ness, meaning a headland.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grosnez_Castle

And when meandering around the Hebrides, look out for placenames ending
-setter, -shader and -sta, for example (of which there are hundreds!) - also
Norse, of course.

And then there are the Norse placenames in Ukraine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dnieper_Rapids

... and runes in Istanbul
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runic_inscriptions_in_Hagia_Sophia

Piers