Re: [OM] £ note questions

Subject: Re: [OM] £ note questions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 11:40:09 -0800
On 2/23/2018 11:22 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
NW Europe shows the way—in Scandinavia people are using less and less cash.

I hardly ever use cash in day to day life. The only places I can recall using cash or a check in NoAmerica in ages are campgrounds and donation baskets/slots.

In Denmark, the country with which I am most familiar, more and more shops are
stopping taking cash. Clearly, they have calculated that the loss of business
from those few customers who would insist on paying that way is more than made
up for by the savings from not having to handle cash anymore.

I don't know if I've encountered that or not, as I don't expect to use cash. Now, with the little smart device readers, I imagine even garage sales must be starting to accept CCs. (I'm not allowed at garage sales - my own rule. Thrift stores, though, well, . . .)

Things certainly have changed. In '77, I wanted to buy a leather jacket in Edinburgh, didn't have the cash,  ATMs hadn't been invented and banks had "bankers hours". To use VISA, they would have to call London, London to fax NY, NY to fax London, London to call . . . Amex only required a single call to London.

Leather in the Rain Moose