Re: [OM] Focus Stacketing [was Re: OM-D E-M1 Mark II or?]

Subject: Re: [OM] Focus Stacketing [was Re: OM-D E-M1 Mark II or?]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 10:35:42 -0800
> From: usher99@xxxxxxx
>
> For macro landscape need to get to infinity or rather close.

Yea, the 135/4.5 can easily do that, even with tilt/shift. But it takes a
movement of about 135mm to go from infinity to 1:1. I’m planning to putting a
stepper motor on the rear standard of the PB-4, so I can automate focus
bracketing. In all my spare time. :-)

>  I wonder if using a 35mm Mamya 645 lens on the OM bellows would

Do you mean “135mm Mamya 645?”

I don’t know much about Mamya, but it’s medium-format, no? Which means 35mm
would be extreme wide angle. I think you’re right that the register distance
would be an impediment.

A great frankenizing technique that was recently suggested to me on
www.photomacrography.net is to use a “Magic Arm” to mount the front and rear
standards of a bellows without the rail. Then you pretty much have infinite
flexibility in tilt-shift-stretch, but probably like the flexibility of the
Master Benbo tripod, which has been described as “wrestling with an octopus.”
Not to mention zero chance of robotizing or even focus-bracketing such a setup.

If one could cheaply obtain a broken 3D printer, you *could* make an
infinitely-flexible, focus-bracketing, robotic bellows. (NO! NO! NO! MUST..
SIT.. ON.. HANDS.. DO.. NOT.. TYPE.. eBay.com..)

(Put it on my infinitely-long project list...)

> Ian at SRB Griturn used to be able to make oddball adapters for me--not sure
> they will still do that.

If it’s to micro four thirds things, I’m willing to help. But I don’t have
access to a Sony FE, and don’t want to make adapters to things I can’t test.

> More projects than time, Mike

But wouldn’t life be boring in the opposite case?

:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op <http://www.ecoreality.org/> ::::