Re: [OM] Focus Stacketing [was Re: OM-D E-M1 Mark II or?]

Subject: Re: [OM] Focus Stacketing [was Re: OM-D E-M1 Mark II or?]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 13:04:46 -0800
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

I?ve acquired a stepper-motor slider and an Arduino. I should be able to move
the camera in 0.005 mm increments, allowing you to choose the front, back, and
number of steps in-between.
I assume you are doing this for fun?
Isn’t that what we’re all here for? :-)

Indeed!

I actually would just use the camera function - and do.
But as you note, it only works with certain lenses, of which I have none that
qualify.

It appears you are confabulating two separate things. Focus Stacking, in-camera compositing, with single JPEG output, is only available on E-M1 series bodies and works only with that limited list of lenses.

Focus Bracketing,which produces a series of output files, Raw and/or JPEG, to be composited later by software on your computer, works with virtually any AF lens and is on the E-M5 II, as well as E-M1s. I don't have an E-M1 series body, and I do Focus Bracketing all the time, with various Oly and Panny lenses not on the list.

(Well, I have the 7-14, but as you mentioned with the fisheye, I can’t really
see stacketing to be useful with it.)

My goal (besides having fun) is

1) to support my stable of OM-System macro glass, and

2) to make the process as fast as possible, to avoid lighting changes, wind,
etc.

What I REALLY want is for the camera to tell me when it’s ready for another shot. I suspect it’s
Pretty Damn Quick, but don’t want to over-run it. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find an API to
look at the USB port as see when the camera is ready for another shot. So I’ll have to use the 2.5mm
exposure control plug, and use an arbitrary wait period to make sure I’m not over-shooting the camera.

The stepper motor should be able to move 0.005mm and settle vibrations within a
few milliseconds.

As to vibration settling, I imagine that will depend a lot on the mechanical drive and the support equipment. For example, an aluminum tripod is likely to take longer than CF.

I suspect the camera will be done with whatever it is doing by then.

Given the speed of the E-M1 II and its frame rate, likely so.

It may be useful to consider flash card speed. Using the fastest UHS I cards, my E-M5 II bodies would run out of buffer at around 11-12 frames when making a bracketed set of slices, and sloooooowww way down. With UHS II cards, it seems that the writing process is at least as fast as the capture process, with no limits I've as yet reached. There is apparently a problem with write speed with the E-M1 II and certain UHS II cards, where speed is like UHS I. The Delkin 1900x is one. I suspect that you would hit mechanical limitations in the gadget before camera limitations, but it's just as well to be aware of them.

Step Lively Moose