[OM] Focus Stacketing [was Re: OM-D E-M1 Mark II or?]

Subject: [OM] Focus Stacketing [was Re: OM-D E-M1 Mark II or?]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 16:45:44 -0800
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Then they go and use the term "Focus Stacking" particularly for the
> combination of taking a
> set of focal plane slices and composting them into one all in-camera.

Cool! After they’re composted, do they grow good tomatoes?

(Gotta love auto-spelling correction… :-)

>    Compatible with :
>    M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm f/2.8 Macro
>    M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO
>    M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO
>    M.Zuiko Digital ED 30mm f/3.5 Macro
>    M.Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO
>    M.Zuiko Digital ED 8mm f/1.8 Fisheye PRO
>    M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm f/4.0 IS PRO
>
> - Oh, goodie, I have ONE of those. Doesn't work with my 12-100/4 Pro, 12/2,
> 25/1.8, 45/1.8, 75/1.8, 9-18, 12-50, 14-42,
> 75-300? or any of my several Panny lenses.

Yea, I found that somewhat puzzling, as if you’d ever want to focus-stack the
8mm fisheye. But perhaps I simply lack imagination.

Do you have any feeling for the difference between actually changing focus in
focus-bracketing, as opposed to changing the camera position?

Especially for macro, I’m thinking the difference is going to be minimal.

I’ve acquired a stepper-motor slider and an Arduino. I should be able to move
the camera in 0.005 mm increments, allowing you to choose the front, back, and
number of steps in-between. I know this will subtly change perspective, but on
most lenses, changing the focus *also* slightly changes perspective.

But if anyone has a strong argument about how this is A Bad Idea, I’m prepared
to make a stepper motor change the position of the front or rear standard of
the bellows, instead. But that would be a whole lot more work than simply
moving the camera/bellows/lens back and forth by tiny amounts, which I’d rather
do if there’s no optical advantage.

:::: Once plants and animals were raised together on the same farms -- which
therefore neither produced unmanageable surpluses of manure, to be wasted and
to pollute the water supply, nor depended on such quantities of commercial
fertilizer. The genious of American farm experts is very well demonstrated
here: they can take a solution and divide it neatly into two problems. --
Wendell Berry <http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Wendell+Berry>
:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op <http://www.ecoreality.org/> ::::