[OM] OT] Self-Driving

Subject: [OM] OT] Self-Driving
From: brian gray via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 12:42:22 +0000
Cc: brian gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Having been brought up and learned to drive (on two wheels and four) in the hills of Northern England before road gritting became common, I also cannot see how wheeled self driving vehicles could cope with Alaska, or many other places with ice or mud. But, I do not think a lot of younger drivers could currently cope either without training on a skidpan and experience. The perfect is always the enemy of the good in engineering, and I would expect to welcome self-drive cars on good roads if/when I become incapable of normal driving. Early cameras were primitive by modern standards, but even static B&W portraits with long exposures were a welcome improvement on nothing (unless you could afford a portrait artist).
Brian