[OM] Self-Driving - OTT

Subject: [OM] Self-Driving - OTT
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 11:54:12 -0900
Just a random thought...

I wonder how autonomous cars would handle Alaskan roads? Between black
ice, no visible lines, snow, dirt, gravel and moose guts, I have had
enough time seeing where to drive. You can't use GPS to guide the
vehicle, because the traffic follows different "lanes" than what are
defined. Half the time, the lane steers itself down the shoulder and
across the rumble strips.

They really don't bother with plowing the roads up here. No salt,
either. As long as the traffic is moving fast enough, the snow tends
to blow off the roads enough that you can see places to put your
tires. But with the ever-present black-ice, you actually need to drive
on what remains instead of where it's clear.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx