Re: [OM] OM-D E-M1 Mark II or?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D E-M1 Mark II or?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 16:10:34 -0800
On 1/19/2018 5:52 AM, Frank wrote:
Please do, Moose. As I liked the feature in some recent mushroom shots
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/63142137@N08/albums/72157689466783056>.

Sigh . . .

REMEMBER, Oly terminology is different than the rest of the photographic world! People have been using the term "focus stacking" forever. Oly is semantic/technically correct in calling that function that they have automated in these cameras "Focus Bracketing" Then they go and use the term "Focus Stacking" particularly for the combination of taking a set of focal plane slices and composting them into one all in-camera.

My negative comment only applies to the in-camera stacking. It is entirely possible that the linked mushroom photos you admire are actually Brackets, not in-camera Stacks, and his labeling is imprecise.
-------------------------------------
From manual and web site:

Focus BKT (Focus Stacking)

   The focus position is automatically shifted to capture 8 shots which are
then composited for a
   single JPEG image that is in focus all the way from the foreground to
background.

- JPEG only

   • The focus position is automatically shifted based on the
   center of the focal position and 8 frames are captured in a
   single shot.
   • If compositing fails, the image will not be saved.

- Oops. With Bracketing, you always get the intermediate images. (My TG-4 does Focus Stacking and Bracketing in Microscope Mode. At least when it Stacks, "Two images are recorded, the first frame and the composite image.")

   • Focus stacking ends if zoom or focus is adjusted during
   shooting.
   • The angle of view for composited images is narrower than
   the original images.

- Huh?

   Compatible with :
   M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm f/2.8 Macro
   M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO
   M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO
   M.Zuiko Digital ED 30mm f/3.5 Macro
   M.Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO
   M.Zuiko Digital ED 8mm f/1.8 Fisheye PRO
   M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm f/4.0 IS PRO

- Oh, goodie, I have ONE of those. Doesn't work with my 12-100/4 Pro, 12/2, 25/1.8, 45/1.8, 75/1.8, 9-18, 12-50, 14-42, 75-300  or any of my several Panny lenses.

Eight slices is seldom enough. My most usual setting, 15, is not uncommonly too few. You can increase the depth by setting the Focal Distance higher. The problem then is "waves" of in and slightly out of focus. It also increases with smaller apertures, but that often requires compromises of shutter speed and/or ISO.
------------------------------
Speaking of mushroom shots; From an essay on the US Oly website:
FOCUS STACKING AND BRACKETING WITH THE E-M1 MARK II
BY OLYMPUS VISIONARY PETER BAUMGARTEN

"BRACKETING VS. STACKING

I have found the built-in focus stacking to be remarkably accurate. So why would you opt for bracketing vs. stacking? Here are a couple of reasons:

    The stacked image is trimmed. Regardless of subject, which lens you use, or whether you use a tripod or not, the final stacked image is trimmed along all four edges. The final image remains the same size (5184 x 3888px for the E-M1 Mark II), which means some interpolation must be going on. This must be taken into account when composing the shot.

    Details vs distance. The fungus below had countless stalactite-like fingers and was about 15 cm from front to back, a fair distance for a macro shot. I attempted to use the stacking feature, which only brackets and stacks 8 photos. After some experimenting with the focus differential settings I had to compromise. I could capture the details of the front fingers but loose the details in the back, or I could capture the entire distance, but have too much interpolation that would blur out some of the fingers. Not willing to compromise I opted to use bracketing instead."

In other words, it doesn't even please one of their "visionaries"
<http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/focus_stacking>

One common problem with stacking is subject movement. Both of my common subjects, flowers and "bugs", have this distressing tendency to move while the set of exposures is being made. This creates "ghosts", overlaps, etc. With Focus Stacking, any artifacts are baked into the one JPEG.

With Focus Bracketing, the whole set is available and is to be aligned and blended in post. In PS, that gives me great control in correcting them. Yep, most outdoor shots require a bit of TLC.

Thnx in advance!

OK, you owe me a beer. ;-)

Well Bracketed Moose