Re: [OM] OM-D E-M1 Mark II or?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D E-M1 Mark II or?
From: Frank <wijsmuller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 00:43:22 +0100
A user of both systems here. I use both Sony A7 series camera's and Olympus
E-M1 mk I's (still have some Pens and an E-M5, but they don't get so much
use anymore, just like my E-1).

Full frame I have mainly for using legacy glass without a crop. My most
used Zuiko's are wide angles (18-24mm) and the 35-80mm. For macro I use
m43, sometimes OM glass. Still have a lot of it. I like
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/fmw/15075859764/in/photolist-PXoauN-NGGc51-KYKZir-K3q61F-K5RvED-HhiTvN-HGE7MP-zBnvpb-smwhRE-qVw1Yt-pV8kZq-oYcHSC-pCytqX-pCB1mj-dhgbec-6SS8Vy-5nYjWH-5nYjVz-2qkKJN/>
my 90mm copy btw.

On recent holidays, I took a E-M1 with 12-40mm and an A7 with 18mm. With a
25/1.8 for in the evenings. I like that setup, just acquired a 17/1,8 which
might replace the 25. Some pictures from both camera's mixed
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/63142137@N08/albums/72157684499552034/with/36368544705/>.
I don't think the E-M1 combo is much less capable as the Sony.

But I find the Olympus system much more 'agile' then the Sony. That has to
do with AF of course, but also with the superior ergonomics of Olympus (and
m43 IBIS ;-). I tested the A7R2 with the Sony and Sigma 24-70 (below)
photographing butterflies with AF (should be state of the art), and went
back the next day with my E-M1 and 12-40mm. With the A7R2 the keeperratio
was maybe 25%, with the E-M1 more like 75%... (well I didn't count them,
but thats my impression, it could be even worse). Maybe I should have used
far higher ISO on the Sony, but that kind of defies the purpose of full
frame.

I took the 24mm f2 with me as benchmark to compare the big Sony 24-70mm/2.8
with the Sigma Art 24-70
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/63142137@N08/sets/72157685913618243/with/36795559121/>,
as well as the 35-80mm. The Zuikos are still nothing to be ashamed of,
although the 24 is only limited usable at f2 imho. More then 40 years of
advances in lens design don't go unnoticed. Although my conclusion from
this test is that expansion of zoom range has had priority over IQ ;-).

Good luck with your choice.