Re: [OM] E-410/420 vs. E-500

Subject: Re: [OM] E-410/420 vs. E-500
From: Frank <wijsmuller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 10:40:27 +0200
The advantage of RAW is not about the bits per pixel, but about taking the
processing of the sensor image out of the camera to your computer. TIFF is
just a JPEG without the compression:
*Image Processing* – File formats such as JPEG and TIFF perform image
processing based on the camera settings at the time the image was shot.
This includes exposure compensation, saturation, sharpening, white balance,
contrast, and color space.
Source...
<http://www.olympusamerica.com/crm/oneoffpages/crm_e500_record.asp?cm=EVOLT%20E-500>

That is why a RAW file gives you far more influence on the final picture
then a Tiff file. Effectively, you are undoing the camera image-engine
settings 'damage' when you manipulate a Tiff, instead of processing the
sensor output. That damage is the processing as described in the last
sentence of the quote above. It cannot be undone completely.