Re: [OM] OT: The Future of Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: The Future of Computers
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 11:03:16 +1030
On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 10:31:31AM -0700, Chris Trask wrote:
>      Yes, and yes again!  But how are you going to get newbie programmers to
> embrace the idea of efficiency in a world where they have been taught that
> speed and memory ar both infinite?

The real problem is the 'race to the bottom'.  these guys have a
deadline, and a budget - we're probably lucky that it even works. A
recent employer of mine outsourced a large project to a much-cheaper
country (and ended up having to rewrite half of it in-house).

>      On the news yesterday it was revealed that here in the US 80% of kids
> cannot tell time by looking at a clock.  I'm the opposite: I look at the
> numbers and imagine the face of a clock to know what the time is.

This is not unreasonable, it's about exposure.   how many people in the
US can deal with metric efficiently?  I was at primary school when the
conversion happened here in australia (1974 IIRC) and have no trouble
working in either system, but my sons are as lost if I say '3 feet' or
'2 inches', as my dad is if I say '1 metre' or '50 millimetres' (I'm
sure he even still converts the speedometer reading in his head :) ).

davidt