Re: [OM] OT: The Future of Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: The Future of Computers
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 09:55:43 +1030
On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 11:34:30AM -0700, Jan Steinman wrote:
> I???m mentally preparing myself to ???poke around inside??? one of my
> Speedotron packs??? 900+ volts available at numerous amps??? 4800 joules???
>
> I used to fix TVs with flyback transformers, too. Keep one hand in a pocket.
> Bleed the caps, multiple times. Have someone nearby with ???911??? on
> speed-dial. :-)

...and discharge the CRT, a very large capacitor that seemingly
recharges itself   :)

I qualified in TV service in the 80's, too.  It was a 2-year part-time
trade level course, that stood me in good stead for a few years fixing
arcade video games and, after that, computer terminals and monitors.

Apart from the bit on fixing switchmode power supplies, and perhaps some
of the colour theory for the occasional DIY forum post, it is all now
pretty much obsolete study, not only is the technology out of date, but
also the economics mean there's nothing to fix.  :(

davidt