Re: [OM] OT: The Future of Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: The Future of Computers
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 15:34:20 -0700
On 3/17/2017 10:50 AM, Piers Hemy wrote:
" reminds me of high school: putting the orange 'PACKAGE' (Hollerith/OMR)
card on top of my card stack to be sent away to the state Ed Dept computing
centre's IBM370"

DONE THAT! But it was an ICL 1900 (?) at Imperial College in London

" nothing worse than getting your output a week later with 'Syntax error in
line 10'"

DONE THAT TOO!

I guess I had it easy. The slightly unreliable card punches, and the IBM 7090-94 was on campus - so one only had to wait a few hours for the error message, as often as not from a punch failure I didn't catch.

I think I prefer today's solutions.

Algol Anyone Moose