Re: [OM] Win7 Is Us!

Subject: Re: [OM] Win7 Is Us!
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 11:30:53 +1030
On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 10:33:15AM -0700, Chris Trask wrote:

>      I felt so good after accomplishing this that I'm wiping the LM
> 17.2 HD in preparation for a second install of Win7.  Interesting aspect
> of Linux is that it has some sort of self-preservation mode wherein you
> cannot read the HDs using Windows so you can format them.  But there's a
> simple fix to that.  I put the LM17.2 HD back into the laptop and got
> out a Win98 install CD.  Win98 will format the HD prior to installing,
> and it's doing that right now.  Once it's done I'll just abort the
> installation and later install Win7.

That's an interesting conclusion... :)   The LM disk format is EXT4, a
different logical layout to FAT/NTFS, and is simply not recognisable to
window's very 'limited vocabulary'.

If you boot from the W7 CD, The 'install now' option should format the
drive for you. Select 'use entire disk' at disk partition  time (or
split it up into primary and extended partitions etc.), that should
infect the disk with the NTFS virus quite effectively  without first
wasting time formatting as FAT. :)

davidt